Youth Education Foundation Scholarship
The 2015-2016 will be available for download in October, 2014.
- Currently be enrolled in an accredited college or university.
- Fulltime resident of South Texas
- Classified as an undergraduate/graduate during the 2013-2014 school year. High school seniors who are enrolled in a dual credit program are not eligible for this scholarship.
- Enrolled in full-time study in 2014-2015.
- Such additional criteria as may be established by the Youth Education Foundation Board of Directors.
Amount of Scholarship: Scholarships in the amount of $500 to $2,000 will be awarded.
In order for an application to be considered complete, the following items must accompany each application.
- A completed Application Form.
- Signed and dated Applicant Certification Form
- Completed Financial Statement
- Completed Community Service Form
- An essay of 500 words or less describing leadership positions you have held, your civic interests and a brief summary of your future goals. Please describe your past and current involvement with the San Antonio community, as well as your future plans to be involved in the San Antonio community.
- Transcript from your current school.
- Letter of recommendation from a professor.
- Financial Aid Information Release Form (Must be received/postmarked from the university/college you are attending no later than Friday, April 4, 2014).
- EMAIL (Preferred): Completed applications can be emailed to email@example.com. Include any letters of recommendation, your transcript and completed Financial Aid Information Release Form. Please send as one complete PDF document.
- MAIL: The completed package can be mailed to the Rotary Club of San Antonio, 110 Broadway, Suite 220, San Antonio, TX 78205. If mailing, the package must be postmarked by Friday, April 4, 2014.
Criteria for selection: Character/Leadership/Service/Financial Need/Scholastic Ability
- Scholarships must be applied for on an annual basis.
- There is no limit to the number of years a person may apply.
- No special consideration will be given to previous winners.
- Recipients of the scholarships will be chosen annually.
- A Rotarian or a dependent child, stepchild or grandchild of a Rotarian and their spouse are not eligible to apply for this scholarship.
- The award will be made payable to the college/university of choice and will be mailed directly to the college/university once proof of enrollment for 2014-2015 school year has been received by the Rotary office.
- If the college/university of original choice is changed, the winner must notify the Rotary Club of San Antonio (210-222-8242 X 11) before checks are issued.
YEF Board of Trustees
David Ballard, Chair
Jay Stanley, Vice Chair
Pat Frost, Treasurer
Andrew Himoff, Board Member
Sandee Marion, Board Member
Sam Noble, Board Member
Arthur Riklin, Board Member
Barbie Scharf-Zeldes, Board Member
Ted Terry, Board Member
Tom Veitch, Board Member
Cliff Waller, Board Member
Klaus Weiswurm, Board Member
Where are they now?
Former YEF Scholarship Recipient Jose De Leon, was recently featured in an article in Today's Catholic. José a high school teacher at St. Gerard Catholic High School, carefully monitors the progress of each student at St. PJ’s. He offers individualized instruction on core curriculum to students.
De Leon, who formerly worked with at-risk students in the South San Independent School District, embraces his ministry of teaching at St. PJ’s. “My position at St. PJ’s has been a blessing,” he said. I’m in a position to both educate and mentor young adults with troubling backgrounds. These are the target students who need special attention to get back on track to an educated, stable and healthy life. It is truly rewarding work to be a positive influence in all of their lives.” De Leon’s use of Differentiated Instruction (DI) has proven immensely successful. Rivera remarked of De Leon, “His success rate with previous students made him a natural fit for the satellite campus.”
To read more about Jose, visit http://www.satodayscatholic.com/Youth_StGerardStPJ.aspx.