Apply now for the 2017-2018 Diploma Plus Program
Deadline to apply – December 22, 2017
* Recipients will receive the award during the 2018-2019 Academic Year.
* Winners will be announced in April 2018.
1. Please note that the purpose of this program is to provide financial assistance to students who are at risk of not graduating due to financial concerns. This is a needs based award and not based on academics.
2. The deadline to apply is Friday, December 22, 2017. Applications received after that date will not be considered.
3. Only complete applications will be considered.
4. A letter of recommendation from your counselor, teacher, or school administrator will be requested after your application has been submitted. The Rotary office will contact your school directly to request the recommendation. OPTIONAL: You may include with your application an additional letter of recommendation from any non-relative familiar with your situation.
6. You must be classified as a Junior during the 2017-2018 academic year.
The Diploma Plus Difference
The Rotary Club of San Antonio is proud to serve the youth of Bexar County through the Sam J. Riklin Rotary Diploma Plus Program. The Rotary Club of San Antonio believes that students, who are committed to achieve an education, especially when faced with adversity, are more likely to become productive members of our community.
Education is the key to our city’s successful future. In an effort to be successful in our endeavors to increase the graduation rate in San Antonio, we are asking for your support. Our goal is to raise $100,000 and with your assistance we can reach that goal.
Why Diploma Plus Matters
About 2 months ago my family and I had to leave the house for some landowner’s reasons, we had no place to stay, having no money at that time was a huge struggle, and we couldn’t find a cheap hotel room when all we had was about forty-five dollars. We were glad that there were some kind people who were willing to let us stay at their house for a while until we found a place. There were some times my hygiene wasn’t so well, we didn’t have any hygiene things for ourselves at the time and maybe also work.
My mother is originally from San Antonio but went to Tennessee to have a fresh start. My father is from Mexico but moved to Tennessee for a better life. My parents soon met and had children together; three years later my mother realized that she had to leave to escape an abusive relationship. Since I was three my mother had to care for multiple children by herself as a single mother. Without the support of my father, financial stability became difficult, almost impossible. Supporting five kids with a minimum wage income meant we’d struggle. To this day financial struggles affect my family, and me which is why this scholarship would be helpful during my senior year especially when it comes to applying to colleges which have fees that my mother would not be able to afford.